Harold G Walker

Your Friend-In-Law for over 75 years

Harold G Walker Solicitors



Experienced Divorce Lawyers and Solicitors in Dorset

If you are thinking about a divorce, you are not alone. It can be a very difficult and emotional time for all those concerned, which is why your choice of Divorce Lawyers is very important. At Harold G Walker Solicitors in Dorset, there is a team of Family Solicitors and Lawyers who are experienced in dealing with divorcing couples, as well as all the issues that arise from separation. These divorce lawyers work with clients across Bournemouth, Poole and surrounding areas to help them find the best possible solutions to their marriage breakdown. Using a collaborative approach, aiming to minimise the conflict that invariably arises throughout the divorce process.

To understand your options a FREE initial 30-minute no-obligation appointment is available. This enables you to discuss your situation and concerns with one of the divorce lawyers who are then able to provide you with an overview of the process. This provides you with the opportunity to raise your concerns and answer any questions or worries you may have.

It would be very helpful if you could bring:

  • Identity documents: passport/driving licence and utility bill stating name and address
  • Information about your finances – joint and individual
  • Pen and paper to write down notes from the meeting
  • List of specific concerns that you have

For further information please contact one of the divorce lawyers in the Family team.

Your Options

Before beginning the process of divorce it is important that you are aware of all various options available to you from the outset. This way, you can choose the right way forward for you and your own situation. The options are set out below:

It is important to consider the possibility of reconciliation. Your Family Lawyer can discuss this with you and put you in touch with recommended specialists and counsellors who can provide counselling, both for individuals and couples.

Direct Agreements
This is where you come to an agreement yourselves by talking to each other directly. Even when you are both happy with the outcome, it is vital that you instruct a solicitor to explain the agreement once agreed. The solicitor can take steps to make the agreement legally binding for you.

You can seek the assistance of a third person to help you communicate and reach an agreement. The mediator is unable to give legal advice but can help you communicate and reach a fair settlement.

Collaborative Law
This involves a series of open discussions with yourselves and Solicitors present to reach a resolution with a commitment not to use the Court process. All Family Solicitors at Harold G Walker are able to provide this service and once an agreement is reached, can take the steps to make the agreement legally binding for you.

Family Arbitration
Instructing a solicitor to pursue an out-of-court agreement which would be determined by the Arbitrator.

Going to Court
Instructing a solicitor to deal with proceedings at Court where a Judge will make a final decision.

Each of the options is right for different circumstances. Your Family Lawyer can explain the different approaches in detail for you and apply it to your own personal circumstances. You will then be in a position to make a well-informed decision as to the way forward.

The Divorce Process

Step 1
Appoint a lawyer to represent you and discuss the divorce. You will need to state the grounds on which the marriage has irretrievably broken down and also make payment of the Court Fees (currently £593).

Step 2
The court will register the case and post the papers to your spouse (known as “the Respondent”) or their solicitors, with an “Acknowledgement of Service” form.

Step 3
Your spouse (the “Respondent”), or their solicitors, will complete the Acknowledgement of Service form, stating that the Petition will not be defended and send it back to the court. If the divorce is defended (which is rare), a full hearing in court will be required, with both parties in attendance.

Step 4
The court sends the Acknowledgement of Service form to your solicitors.

Step 5
Your solicitor drafts a statement in support of the application for Decree Nisi, which is then sent to the court.

Step 6
The District Judge looks at the papers and decides whether to grant Decree Nisi.

Step 7
If the Judge decides to grant the Decree Nisi, both parties are informed that it will be read out in court on a certain date and time (but the parties do not need to attend).

Step 8
A copy of the Decree Nisi is sent to both parties.

Step 9
Six weeks and one day later, you can apply for the Decree Absolute.

Step 10
The Decree Absolute is sent to both you and your spouse.

Divorce & Finance

The Decree Absolute officially ends the marriage between the parties, but it does not dismiss the potential financial claims that they have against each other or sort out where the parties are going to live. This obviously needs to be dealt with. Decisions have to be made on property, pensions and maintenance issues. This can include whether or not the property will be sold and if not, who is going to live in it and whether or not maintenance will be paid to one of the parties, for them and/or the children.

Both you and your spouse must disclose your income and assets to each other. This ensures that everything is taken into account and nothing is concealed. Once an agreement is reached regarding the financial division and any future arrangements, the solicitors draft a Consent Order, which is signed by both you and your spouse, and sent to the court for the District Judge to approve.

If a figure for child maintenance cannot be agreed, then it will be necessary to apply to the Child Maintenance Service (CMS) for an assessment.

Resolving Financial disputes like this can be complicated, the experienced Divorce Lawyer in the Family team will advise you and explain your options clearly.

Divorce & Children

Where children are involved, hopefully, an agreement can be reached between the parents. Should you be unable to agree then mediation should be considered, however, if this proves unsuccessful, then the court may intervene which may involve one or both parents applying for a Child Arrangement Order.

Fixed Price Divorce Package

All clients receive a FREE initial 30-minute no-obligation consultation to discuss your situation. The Divorce Lawyers at Harold G Walker also offer a fixed price divorce package both for the Petitioner and Respondent.


  • Acting for Applicant (aka ’Petitioner’) – total fixed fee £1,673:
    • Solicitors fee – £900 + VAT (£180)
    • Court Fee – £593
  • Acting for Respondent – total fixed fee £450:
    • Solicitor’s fee – £375 + VAT (£75)
    • Court fee – nil
    • But, in some cases, the Respondent can be required to also contribute towards up to 100% of the Applicant’s legal costs for divorce
  • And also, whether acting for Applicant or Respondent:
    • Every endeavour will be made to ensure the costs of divorce remain within the fixed fee;
    • However, in the event of either party failing to cooperate with an undefended divorce, then further work might be required and charged on a PAYG basis (at the current rate of £250 + VAT (£50) = £300 per hour;
    • Therefore, in the event of any difficulties, any additional costs beyond the fixed fee will be discussed in advance.
Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Solicitor, Head of Family Law Department

Rob Price

Rob Price

Solicitor - Family Law

Karen Layland

Karen Layland

Solicitor - Family Law