As every situation is different, Harold G Walker would highly recommend you to make contact with their probate team for accurate Wills and Probate fees. This will enable them to provide a more accurate estimation of the likely timescales and costs involved.
Where there are more complex estates that involve inheritance tax, disputes, or any other unusual aspects, it is recommended that you call the probate team for a free, no-obligation quote. The hourly fee charged for these matters is the same ( £261 plus £52.20 VAT), but the timescales involved could be longer. Some solicitors charge a % fee based on the value of the estate and the team of probate specialists can discuss the options available to you.
Grant of Probate
Obtaining Grant of Probate where Inheritance Tax is not payable
Harold G Walker’s fee for obtaining a grant of probate, preparing the Oath and completing the IHT 205 tax form (based on information provided by you) is charged at the fixed fee of £1000.00 plus £200 VAT (£1200). Although this includes Harold G Walker preparing the paperwork, this fee or retainer does not include the administration of the estate or any of the associated issues.
Harold G Walker is under no obligation to check the accuracy of any of the information you provide prior to preparing any paperwork. Please note you will also be required to pay £155 to the Probate Registry. It is worth noting that the Probate Registry fee is set to increase in the future and Harold G Walker will endeavour to update their website as soon as information is available.
Administration of Estate
To Administer an estate and obtain a grant of probate, Harold G Walker will charge fees at the hourly rate of £261 plus £52.20 VAT – total £313.20. It is anticipated there would be around 10-15 hours of work involved, providing that the following circumstances apply:
- There is a valid will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 2 bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are no more than four beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on a division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in time resulting in higher costs.
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties. Harold G Walker can handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. It is worth noting there is likely to be other disbursements involved with the administration of an estate, for example:
Probate application fee £155.00
Land Registry Bankruptcy search £2.00 per person
Post in the London Gazette estimated From £200 inc. VAT (£166.67 ex. VAT) to £300 inc. VAT ( £250 ex. VAT)
Post in a Local Newspaper estimated From £200 inc. VAT (£166.67 ex. VAT) to £300 inc. VAT ( £250 ex. VAT)
(In some circumstances, Harold G Walker are required to place notices in the London Gazette and local newspaper in order to protect the executors. Whilst their fees vary, you will only pay what the newspapers charge for this service).
Where is the added value in using Harold G Walker?
- Your friendly and approachable local firm of solicitors
- Available to talk face-to-face
- Available to have direct contact with your Lawyer/Solicitor
- You will only be working with Fully Qualified staff
- Fully regulated by SRA (Solicitors Regulation Authority)
- Accredited by STEP The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Designated one-key person for continuity of service